CONWAY, Ark. (December 10, 2012) - Two 2012 Hendrix graduates will soon see their work appear in mathematics journals.
Casey Wynn is a co-author of a paper entitled "Non-Contiguous Pattern Avoidance in Binary Trees" published in The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics. He is currently pursuing a Ph.D. in pure mathematics at Kent State University.
Luke Kressin's paper "Properties of Border Strips on Ferrer's Diagrams" has been accepted by The Pi Mu Epsilon Journal.
28365365体育在线Kressin's work was done at Hendrix and Wynn's research was done during a National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates summer program at Valparaiso University.
"Both Casey and Luke had four exceptional years in the Hendrix mathematics program and these publications are public acknowledgement of their talents," said Dr. David Sutherland, Hendrix mathematics professor and associate provost for academic affairs, who supervised Kressin's research. "We are proud of both of them."
Research presentations by these students include:
- Luke Kressin, 2012: The Properties of Border Strips on Ferrers Diagrams. Hendrix-Rhodes-Sewanee Mathematics Symposium, Rhodes College, Memphis, Tenn.
- Casey Wynn, 2012: Hypercyclic Operators in Hilbert Spaces. Hendrix-Rhodes-Sewanee Mathematics Symposium, Rhodes College, Memphis, Tenn.
- Casey Wynn, 2012: Non-consecutive pattern avoidance in binary trees. Joint Mathematics Meetings, student poster session, Boston, Mass.
- Casey Wynn, 2011: Non-consecutive pattern avoidance in binary trees. Indiana Undergraduate Research Conference, Blooming, Ind., July 27.
- Luke Kressin, 2012: Properties of Border Strips on Ferrer's Diagrams. Pi Mu Epsilon Conference, Madison, Wisc.
Founded in 1876, Hendrix College is a national leader in engaged liberal arts and sciences education. For the fifth consecutive year, Hendrix was named one of the country's "Up and Coming" liberal arts colleges by U.S. News and World Report. Hendrix is featured in the 2012 edition of the Princeton Review as one of the country's best 377 colleges, the latest edition of Colleges That Change Lives: 40 Schools That Will Change the Way You Think about Colleges, Forbes magazine's annual list of America's Top 650 Colleges, and the 2013 edition of the Fiske Guide to Colleges. Hendrix has been affiliated with the United Methodist Church since 1884. For more information, visit www.hans-huber.com.